terça-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2008

American Way of Romance

The following exchange took place on Craigslist, the New York Community Message Board.

What am I doing wrong ? I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in NewYork City, so I don’t think I’m over-reaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board ? Any wifes ? Could you send me some tips ? I dated a business man who made around 200 - 200K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250.000 won’t get me to Central Park West. I Know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker, and lives in Tribeca. She’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right ? Here are my questions specifically:

  • Where do you single rich men hang out ? Give me specifics - bars, Restaurants, gyms …
  • What are you looking for in a mate ?
  • Is there an age range I should be targeting ?
  • Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain. What’s the story there ?
  • Lawyers, investment bankers, doctors. How much do those guys really make ? And where do the hedge fund guys hang out ?
  • How do you rich guys decide on marriage versus just a girlfried ? I am looking for Marriage only.

An Investment Banker’s Response: I qualify as a guy who fits your bill - I make more than $500K per year. Here’s how I see it: Your offer is a plain and simple crappy business deal. What you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But there’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity - in fact, it is very likely that my income will increase, but it is an absolutely certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful ! So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset. In Wall Street Terms, we’d call you a trading position - not a buy and hold. It doesn’t make good business sense to ‘buy you’ (which is what you’re asking) - so I’d rather lease. The deal that makes sense to me is dating, not marriage.

Fonte: The Independent

Genial.


1 Comentários:

Às 17 de janeiro de 2008 às 18:36 , Anonymous Anónimo disse...

Brilhante, de facto!

Dos melhores posts que já vi na blogosfera...

Já agora deixo aqui mais uma analogia: quando alguém "compra" outro "alguém", um aspecto importante a ter em conta é o goodwill, ou seja, aquilo que é intangível como o status social, o prestígio e reconhecimento no seio da comunidade. Muitas vezes, esses activos intangíveis têm um fair value muito superior aos activos tangíveis (carro, casa, etc.)

Abraço

Ricardo

 

Enviar um comentário

<< Página inicial